Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cleveland Browns Bars



Edit- I posted this on Sunday- but in the middle of Hurricane Ike so it didn't post. Sorry 'bout the crappy pics! (See last post about Ike)
Uhhh the Browns lost.... But the cookies were a winner!!!! Here is the post.....

I could have sworn I made this recipe from Jennifer of Bake or Break and posted on it a few months ago. I KNOW I made the cookies, but I guess I didn't post on it. Loved the recipe! Not many cookies feature cashews and teamed with butterscotch you can't lose! Even so, when I made the original recipe, I knew I would change it up a bit the next time I made it, because we love pecans!
Tonight is the famous football matchup- Cleveland Browns vs. PITTSburg Steelers. So in honor of my Browns, I have named my changed up recipe Cleveland Browns Bars. They are pretty dang delicious! The crust is like buttery shortbread; and the bscotch caramel- mmmmm!
Here's the play by play...

Cleveland Browns Bars (aka Butterscotch Pecan Bars)
1/2 pound (2 sticks, or 1 cup) butter
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 & 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
2 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
11 ounces butterscotch chips (I used Merckens Butterscotch Wafers this time)
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon
2 cups pecans (toasted lightly in the oven while the crust is baking)
dash salt

Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9″x 13″ pan with parchment paper (line the pan’s width and length, creating a parchment “sling'). Spray parchment paper with cooking spray.
Using an mixer on medium speed, beat butter, brown sugar, and salt for 1 to 1 & 1/2 minutes. Decrease mixer speed to low and add the flour. Mix just until combined. Lightly press dough evenly into the prepared pan. Poke holes in the dough with a fork. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the crust is a golden color. Remove to wire rack to cool-pretty much completely.
In a saucepan over low heat, stir together butterscotch chips, corn syrup, and water. Stir until mixture comes to a simmer and butterscotch chips are melted. Pour over crust.
Sprinkle toasted pecans over the butterscotch. Bake for 5 minutes. Salt top very lightly. Cool completely on a wire rack. After cooling, remove from pan and use a very sharp knife to cut into bars.

GO BROWNS!

3 comments:

Jacque said...

Oh my! those sound delicious! I love cashews and am always looking out for ways to incorporate them into dessert.

P.S. I am in Cincinnati and couldn't believe the amount of Ike-induced destruction. Amazing, isn't it!?

Lo said...

Fabulous.
I think these would be perfect -- even for those of us who aren't Browns fans *duck*

Anonymous said...

These look absolutely delicious! And having just moved to the west coast from C-town, I'm always looking for a little taste of home. I think I'll have to try them next Sunday when they take on the Giants!