Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Daring Bakers Do Pizza!




Dear blogger- quit reducing my pics.....
I was thrilled to find that the DB challenge this month was to make pizza. It's always a fun time waiting for the beginning of the month to see what surprise recipe the Daring Baker host of the month has in store for us.
Our host this month is Rosa over in Switzerland, host of Rosa's Yummy Yums. The recipe is “Pizza Napoletana” from Peter Reinhart's “The Bread Baker's Apprentice”. This is the first time I have baked a Reinhart recipe.
I have been looking for the perfect crust for years. One that is tender, but slighty chewy, and has a good yeasty taste. I haven't made pizza since last winter and now is a good time to get back into it.
And we were asked to really get into it and toss our pizzas like a real pizza maker.
So into my kitchen I go and mix my dough together the night before. Have I mentioned - I LOVE my Kitchen Aid??! The last time I made pizza, I was using a hand held mixer. The kitchenaid makes everything so much easier! Then into the fridge my dough went.
The next day came the real test. Forming the crust is always the hardest part for me.Usually I try to roll it out. But Rosa asked us to try to toss it with the knowledge that it will make it more tender. My dough seemed the right texture, so I floured up my hands and tried to toss like this. UH HUH..... I guess the key is getting the hands to move in a slightly rotating motion with the dough. It took a while, but by the 3rd try I was getting a little better at it. Still couldn't really toss it in the air though. I ended up kinda stretching/patting into the shape I wanted.
I made 3 pies this time and put half the dough in the freezer for another day.
One was tomato sauce w/cheese, one w/pepperoni, and mine was w/onion, mushrooms and black olives.
The sauce tasted sooo good on its own- baked on the pie- it lost the flavor. I will have to add a little more garlic, basil and parmesan next time, so I will post the sauce recipe when it is perfected. I will tell you the base was 1 small can of tomato paste and one 15 oz can of italian diced tomatoes. It was a great thick texture, so I will figure out the spices later.
The crust- well lets's just say I will keep looking. It certainly may be me, but it wasn't quite the taste I was looking for. The texture was not bad though.
You can find the recipe at Rosa's blog. You can connect to the Daring Bakers site by clicking their logo on the right.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

your sauce does sound really good! you did a fabulous job!

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of onions, mushrooms and black olives. Great job.

Anonymous said...

great job on your challenge!

Bunny said...

Pizza is my favorite food on the planet and yours looks great Fran. I didn't get to do this though, can I have some of yours??

giz said...

Doesn't blogger know you have some serious pictures to share, I mean, really!!! You did such a great job on this and the topping - yee haaa!!!

Lisa said...

Pretty pizzas and I like the classic combos :)