Sunday, December 7, 2008

Cinnamon Almonds



A few years ago, when the nearby Costco opened, they used to sell jars of Cinnamon Almonds that my husband went crazy for. For two years they would have them as a seasonal item around Christmas time.
Then, the unthinkable happened....the Christmas items came in and ...no cinnamon almonds. Every time we would go to Costco my dear husband would say "I'm feeling lucky," but we would look and there would be no nuts.
Then, last year the nut people started to bring a "road show" twice a year and sell their spiced nuts, albeit at a higher price and in smaller jar.
Last week, while looking for seasonal recipes, I came across one from AllRecipes that looked promising. So that being the basis, I tweaked it a little and baked us some Cinnamon Almonds. This recipe was really good, extremely easy and great for gift giving.

Cinnamon Almonds
1 egg white
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups whole almonds
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
scant 1/2 teaspoon popcorn salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F (120 degrees C). Foil and grease 2 10x15 inch jellyroll pans.
  2. Lightly beat the egg white; add vanilla, and beat until almost stiff. Add the nuts, and stir until well coated. Mix the sugar, salt, and cinnamon, and sprinkle over the nuts. Toss to coat, and spread evenly on the prepared pans.
  3. Bake for 1 1/2 hour in the preheated oven, stirring evry 20 min., until dry and toasted. Allow to cool, then store in airtight containers.

10 comments:

Bunny said...

This looks like a good recipe for the holidays FRAN!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, it is wonderful to find another person that loves Costco, but, also finds it so frustrating when they discontinue an item you have bought for years. I hate when that happens.

These nuts look great. Something I am going to try.

Anonymous said...

These do look like they would make a lovely gift! Everyone in my family is getting food this year :)

Wendy said...

Fran... So GREAT to hear from you. I LOVE your blog and I too love to bake!!! I just finished dipping chocolates and making caramels for our neighbors and now have to start the baking! I will have to spend some time browsing your recipes... they look fabulous! This was so funny about the almonds too... we are at Costco all the time and we were so bummed when they stopped carrying these. I will definitely have to try your recipe... just in time for all the family to get here next week. Have a very Merry Christmas! Stay in touch!

Megan said...

Oooh! I loved those cinnamon almonds! Thanks for the recipe!

Gigi said...

oooo, i have always wanted to make spiced or sugared nuts at home. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

The Blonde Duck said...

Those look so good! Yum!

Maggie said...

Thanks so much for this recipe! I've been attempting homemade cinnamon almonds forever but they never get the nice heavy coating. Yours look perfect and have egg white which the other recipes I've tried were laking. I've got to try them soon!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These are such a healthy snack too!!!

Lori said...

I am afraid I would devour the whole batch!